The building of the windmill started in 1830 to the order of Mr. James Anstiss. The bricks for the 65 foot tower were burnt in a kiln set up near the mill, the clay being dug from a depression about 100 yards to the north east. Two of the bricks are inscribed 'Ja Hunt 1830' and 'G&B 1830'. After a delay (the half-completed tower was thatched for the winter) machinery for 3 pairs of stones was installed by William Cooper of Aylesbury incorporating the latest ideas in millwrighting. The millers were James and Thomas Anstiss, Joseph Rose, Charles Burton and William Smith who moved his family here from Towersey, near Thame.